Vocalist.org archive

From:  "O'Connell, Kathleen R." <Kathleen.R.OConnell@p...>
Date:  Fri May 5, 2000  7:00 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] NYCO vs. the MET

I think that there actually has been a fair amount of "crossover" in the
last season or two - just thinking back over what I've seen (without having
checked my programs and the season schedules):

During the 1999-2000 season, Mary Dunleavy sang in Viaggio a Rheims and The
Abduction from the Seraglio at NYCO and in a performance or two of Contes
d'Hoffman at the Met (leading roles in all three productions).

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson sang at both the Met and NYCO this season (Myrtle in
Gatsby and Sesto in La Clemenza, respectively.)

David Daniels has sung at the Met (Sesto in Giulio Cesare last year and this
year), and will take the lead role in Rinaldo at NYCO next season.

Mel Ulrich has sung in both houses as well. (I saw him to Figaro in
Barbiere at NYCO last year, and really enjoyed his performance. He was
scheduled to sing Schaunard (?) in a Met Boheme that I attended this year,
but was apparently indisposed and someone else sang in his place.)

Marie Plette (sp ?) sang Vitellia in NYCO's production of La Clemenza di
Tito this year; I believe that she has also sung at the Met.

I have no idea what the "politics" are between the two houses, but speaking
simply as a member of the audience, they seem to me to have very different
approaches to presenting opera and very different repertory (not to mention
very different budgets), and that may at least partially account for the
fact that their isn't a lot of intersection between their rosters of
singers. This is really a topic for another thread (if not another forum)
but I actually attend NYCO more frequently than the Met now and have a much
better time . . .

Kathleen O'Connell