Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 7, 2001  3:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rock Songs using Choirs

sandra,

are you talking about examples where a rock group has had a choir with
them or, are you talking about rock songs that can be sung by a choir? if
you are talking about the former, some of the better ones, in my less than
humble opinion, follow.

the rolling stones' 'you can't always get what you want' from the 'let it
bleed' album is one of my favorites. there is a christmas cd featuring a
number of guitar virtuosos called 'merry axemus'. on this cd there is a
great version of 'amazing grace' played by jeff beck with a choir the only
backing. the leningrad cowboys did a bunch of rock covers on an album with
the red army chorus. on this album are great versions of 'stairway to
heaven' and 'knockin on heaven's door'. as these are covers that intended
to use the chorus in a more integral fashion, comparing these versions with
the originals is quite interesting. i'm sure there are many others.

mike

emusic.com