Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "tracy madsen" <maddy_t11@h...>
"tracy madsen" <maddy_t11@h...>
Date:  Thu Sep 6, 2001  6:17 pm
Subject:  matching registers

Hello all. I have really enjoyed reading the daily posts. I have learned
quite a bit. I've just been lurking around for a while, and now I have a
question of my own. I have taken a while off from singing (full time job,
new marriage...) and have gotten quite out of shape. I am now feeling a
great lacking in my life, and I miss music a great deal. So I'm getting back
into the "sing" of things (I know, shame on me...) :) I can't really afford
to get back into voice lessons right now, so I'll just have to teach myself
for a bit - all while preparing to start a studio of my own in the near
future. That brings up a whole new set of questions. But I will just ask the
one for the time being. Here goes. I have been singing with a band for the
time I've been "off", and that requires me to sing a lot more in my lower
range. It's poppy, jazzy, with a bit of belt every once in a while - kind of
whatever fits. So I've built that area of my range quite a bit, while
neglecting my higher range. (Background - I was a lyric coloratura, but have
been growing into my voice and finding I'm more of a lyric.) Anyway, getting
back into the practice room has been frustrating. I've found that up to
about a D5, I'm fairly strong and even. Then, the passagio area is quite
troublesome (it was always a bit of a hard spot, but now it's worse), and
I'm finding that my F5 and higher are strident and quite bright. They don't
match the warmer, fuller sound of my lower range. I used to pride myself on
my high notes, but now they just don't match. I realize now that there was
always a bit of a color difference that I hadn't worked out yet, but now
that difference is quite noticable. As I am not going to be able to get to a
voice teacher anytime real soon (which I know would be the ideal way to get
the answers I'm seeking), I'm asking you experts out there to give me some
pointers that I could try out on my own.

Boy do I miss my voice! When I was in college, I used to fill my days with
singing, and it's very hard on me to sing maybe once a week when we have
band practice. I'm actually wanting to get back in shape and try out for the
Mormon Tabernacle Choir in January, so maybe you'll see/hear me on Music and
the Spoken Word someday soon. :) (Anyone watch/listen to that program?) Wish
me luck.

Anyway, thanks so much in advance for any advice you can give me. And for
letting me complain a bit :).

Peace,

Tracy

"For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the
righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon
their heads."

13962 Re: matching registers leskayc@a...   Thu  9/6/2001   2 KB
13964 Re: matching registers Tracy   Thu  9/6/2001   2 KB

emusic.com