Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 5, 2001  5:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] personal info in bios/resumes

In a message dated 9/5/01 12:00:25 PM, omigurt@m... writes:

<< From one performer's perspective, I enjoy the opportunity to publicly thank
people who have helped me, for two reasons. First of all, they deserve it.
Second, it's my little way of blurring the popularly-held picture of the
solitary, self-made artist. I think everyone who accomplishes artistic
excellence and recognition has people in the wings who give support and who
perhaps believed in them from the beginning of their strivings.

Anyway...just another perspective, for what it's worth! : ) >>

Naomi,

I certainly don't disagree with thanking people publicly. I just don't think
that it's very appropriate in a bio--largely because it's usually done in
what appears (to me!) to be a self-serving way.

I also doubt that many people really think that artists are solitary, self
made individuals! On the contrary, I'm sure that most audiences assume that
the performer has had a fair amount of help to get where he or she is.

I don't mind things like, "with the support of his wife, Olivia, Tom
completed his graduate studies in vocal performance"--or, "Ms. Gurt is deeply
grateful for her parents' encouragement and financial suport..."

I just don't like a "flip" comment tacked on to the end of a bio, almost as
an afterthought--which is about the only thing that I've seen. It seems like
false modesty to me, and actually gives me a negative impression of the
performer.

Again, separate acknowledgements do not bother me. But I don't like thank
you's tacked onto the end of a bio. It's a matter of personal preference, I
guess!

Judy

BTW, thank you for sending the Burleigh songs! I haven't had a chance to meet
with my coach yet but and looking forward to trying them out.

emusic.com