Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Wed Sep 5, 2001  3:39 pm
Subject:  personal info in bios/resumes

Judy, quoting John:

><< In bios in programs I often read something along the lines of "I am
>so happy to be a member of this cast". In my book, that's about the
>height (depth?) of unprofessionalism. >>
>
>Or "thank you, Mom and Dad" or something of that nature. Reminds me of a
>Broadway program, but I must confess that I don't like it there, either!
>Somehow it doesn't ring true for me. I guess it seems a little too public to
>be genuinely sincere.

I disagree. I always enjoy reading those bits because it makes me feel
more of a connection to the performer. If the whole bio were an Oscar
acceptance speech, of course, it would be another thing. But a tiny
personal note can humanize the performer and make me feel the sense of the
human being who is also a professional. I think many audience members are
interested in the performers as people, over and above the work they do.
Whether culturally speaking this is a good thing is debatable (I'm still
reeling over the Nathan Lane profile in Sunday's NY Times Magazine!), but I
do think it is true of many people.

From one performer's perspective, I enjoy the opportunity to publicly thank
people who have helped me, for two reasons. First of all, they deserve it.
Second, it's my little way of blurring the popularly-held picture of the
solitary, self-made artist. I think everyone who accomplishes artistic
excellence and recognition has people in the wings who give support and who
perhaps believed in them from the beginning of their strivings.

Anyway...just another perspective, for what it's worth! : )

Naomi Gurt Lind

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13944 Re: personal info in bios/resumes sopran@a...   Wed  9/5/2001   3 KB

emusic.com