Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 5, 2001  2:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] program bios, was Cover Letters

In a message dated 9/5/01 2:03:35 PM, nturnage@h... writes:

<< So sorry, so sorry... My suggestion to include a light, personal line was
from a workshop given to music-professionals-to-be at Manhattan School of
Music in 1995 on writing resumes, not program notes. The purpose was to
conjure up the image of a real person, not just a list of accomplishments.
The presenter suggested we think hard and come up with something "true and
unique to you, so that you would be easily recalled when the hirers were
going through their handfuls of resumes." They could say, "Oh, That one!"
Nancy C. >>

Nancy,

Nothing to be sorry about! And I agree that you need to have some way to
"stand out" from the crowd. I just think that personal information of that
sort belongs in the cover letter, not the actual resume. If it's on your
resume, I think that it should be musical.

I've actually been told that more often auditioners will recall what you wore
(that blonde in the purple dress) rather than what was on your resume. And I
think that a REALLY GREAT headshot will also be more easily noticed and
remembered than a line or two on a piece of paper.

If you want to include a brief statement that is highly personal and highly
relevant and highly memorable, go ahead. But it could be a double-edged sword.

Judy

emusic.com