Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
"Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Wed Sep 5, 2001  8:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] How to learn a role

Not that I'm vastly experienced, but I like to get a picture
of the whole piece for my character really early in the
rehearsal process.

I write out a chart type thing with :
Aria/scene to listen out for > Cue Line > My Entrance > My First Line
Other Cues & First Lines in that scene > My Exit
[Most of that can be got from the score without having blocked the show.]
[For show week this gets posted above my spot in the
dressing room.]

Also :
Chart out the progression of the emotions of the character through the
piece. Every character has an emotional journey. Latching onto what
that is will help put the music in context.

When I've got that stuff sorted I can get on with the music
much more freely.

Kevin.
PS Just this bit takes several hours, finding time to sit and do it
really takes self discipline. I think it pays off but others may disagree.

emusic.com