Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 5, 2001  3:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cover Letters for Singers/slogans/signatures

> ... in short, anything that gives a sidelight on how you might choose
> to spend some of your free moments and which presents you as a human, fun,
> or interesting personality.
> My examples aren't the greatest, but you get the idea. >>
>
> Opinions vary as to whether that sort of information actually belongs in
> your
> resume.

i think it would be ok to include off-topic stuff if you have some degree of
expertise, recognition, or qualification in the field. i wouldn't just put
stuff you dabble in, but areas in which you can demonstrate some level of
accomplishment.

e.g. not "i dabble in gardening and enjoy raising petunias" but "i won the
gardening prize at the state fair in ... year for the largest (zucchini,
kumquats, ...)".

or, not "i like to get up and speak at gatherings" but "i achieved the
Toastmasters International CTM award in .... year..." or "i was the president
(or newsletter editor, or seargent-at-arms) of my local Toastmasters club in
... year."

merry

emusic.com