Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Date:  Tue Sep 4, 2001  4:26 am
Subject:  What to do after the BA if I don't want to run to grad school?

Hi All,
I am a senior vocal performance major this year.
All my opera loving friends are telling me all the
grad schools they are auditioning for and looking at,
but I have a little problem. Though I am a vocal
performance major and our program steers up toward the
opera world, my voice is more suited for legit musical
theatre and leider. We have an excellent musical
theatre program here at Baldwin- Wallace, but it's a
little late to try to change majors now! The musical
theatre majors are encouraged to run right out and
start auditioning for jobs, as the musical theatre
world tends to go for youth more than the opera world.
We vocal performance majors are encouraged to head to
grad school and fine tune. I don't have the acting
and dance skills that the musical theatre majors have,
so would it be wise to go to grad school for musical
theatre? Does anyone actually do that? Does anyplace
actually offer that? Would I be wise to hit the
pavement and audition all over? Or should I just get
my backpack and hitch hike all over Europe? Any
opinions or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Trevor