Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu May 4, 2000  11:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Virus alert

Jennifer wrote:

> If you're ever in doubt about a virus warning, go to either www.mcafee.com
> or www.symantec.com - both of these are reputable antivirus companies with
> info on both real and hoax viruses. Both of them have a warning about the
> ILOVEYOU worm (it's different from a virus, but just as bad) on their front
> pages today. Warning - you may have trouble getting through to the antivirus
> sites today. I suspect they're overloaded by people looking for info on
> this.

Yup - when I went to the web to check out the first alert I received from a
friend, I
could get through to neither the Symantec nor the McAfee sites! But when I
heard it 5
minutes later from the news broadcast on my local classical music radio
station, I figured
it was for real!

Lucky for me and our work site, we don't use Internet Explorer - although our
e-mail
administrator warned that there was a way that there was still a possibility
that damage
could be done to our computing resources nevertheless!

I expect I won't be able to get through to update my Norton antivirus software,
but we can
always put something in our e-mail filter definitions so the message has no
chance of
getting opened. I heard on the radio that is what a lot of network
administrator were
doing!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1391 Where to get new virus definitions Shannon   Fri  5/5/2000   2 KB
1408 Re: Virus alert Karen Mercedes   Fri  5/5/2000   2 KB

emusic.com