Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Ciro" <cirodaraujo@u...>
"Ciro" <cirodaraujo@u...>
Date:  Sat Sep 1, 2001  2:03 am
Subject:  Re: question about male passaggio

I'd definitelly recomend you pick up a copy of Richard
Miller's "Training Tenor Voices", he spends detailed time explaining
the physiological aspects of the male (especially tenor) passagio and
has quite a number of exercises.

Well, the basic is first of all.. not let him "open" the vowel past
an F#, attempt covering through vowel modification (giving more space
in the mouth, the jaw drops, the vowels all modify to a rounder one)
and make sure that he understand that he must sing differentely in
the larynx, the feeling is of "more focus" instead of a "spread"
sound (do NOT let him open his mouth horizontaly).. he must
understand the existance of a passagio and then learn how to flip
over (it is quite hard to do without being able to demonstrate,
though I'm sure you can provide him with some recordings and show
exactly what the singer is doing so he can understand). If he is
absolutely unable to sing with a somewaht free tone in the upper
range, it is best not to force it and have him sing those pitches in
falsetto so he can get a feeling of openness instead of tightness - a
great exercise for that is a descending scale in falsetto. I'd start
from the high C down to an F all in falsetto (though well supported..
work with him extensively on breath support), then lowering the pitch
to the point that he will basically "flip over" on his own. This
will give him a "feeling" for high notes without anxiety and slowly
you will be able to make progress upwards.

Good luck.. and hopefully this was more helpfull than confusing...

emusic.com