Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Aug 24, 2001  10:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Fach this Vocal Identity Crisis!

PCT Hiker wrote:

> New list member here with a burning question ;-)

Welcome!!!

> I'm a 30-year-old amateur choral singer who is looking to start serious
> classical vocal training. My voice has really been frustrating me and I
> don't know how to classify it,

> I feel physically and psychologically most comfortable singing as a
> baritone,

> Does the fact that I *sometimes* have those notes mean that I will
> be able to develop them consistently through purposeful training? Do I
> just need to learn to relax more? Or, alternatively, should I quit
> deluding myself, concentrate on my high register, and try to become a tenor
> of some sort?

I'm not a voice teacher, but I agree with Tako. When you
start studying voice, i.e., learn to sing with good vocal
technique, your "voice type" will become apparent. And it
may surprise you. I was/am also a choral singer, and before
I took voice lessons I was very comfortable singing alto in
choir. But I was concerned that I couldn't sing very loud
and I couldn't sing notes much higher than the D an octave+
above middle C. So, in my mid-thirties, I started voice
lessons (which I have continued for more than 15 years). I
learned through my voice study that I'm really a soprano,
and that's the section I now sing in. However, my vocal
technique allows me to sing either alto or soprano choral
parts comfortably with good tone (though I don't have the
volume or richness in my lower notes that "real" altos
have).

Good luck with your voice study, and I hope you continue to
write to the list about your singing explorations and
experiences!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...