Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Aug 24, 2001  6:45 pm
Subject:  Re: Fach this Vocal Identity Crisis!

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., PCT Hiker <vocalist-temporary@y..., PCT Hiker < > start serious classical vocal training. My voice has really
> been frustrating me and I don't know how to classify it

If I were you, I'd just start the serious training and not worry
about fach. It will make itself clear as your technique develops. You
will figure out if your flaky low/high notes are really legit as you
learn to use your voice in a healthy way.

When I started out, I aggresively trained my low range, not realizing
that the low notes were not really mine, but just a very strong
strohbass. Wasted several years doing that! Turns out I don't have
much of a legitimate low range at all, but instead have an extended
upper range.

> My falsetto is decent, and I can usually sing along with male
> countertenors like James Bowman without too much embarrassment ;-)

Haha, maybe you are a countertenor ;-) Who knows? That's what I
turned out to be once I started singing properly... Truly, though,
don't worry so much about it. If you want to explore your
countertenor side, though, I encourage you to talk with some CTs
here: