Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Tue Aug 21, 2001  7:17 pm
Subject:  Re: ROAD MUSIC recommendations . . .

Lana,

I'm just now reading these suggestions -- what fun! I have
another suggestion, even though it's not music -- books on tape. One year
when I was working two adjunct teaching jobs and a clerical job and
traveling 3 hours (one way) per week to one of the teaching jobs, I
discovered that books on tape are marvelous for a long drive. My
experience was that lighter literature -- for me, murder mysteries, which I
like anyway (guilty pleasure!) -- worked better, since they keep just
enough of my attention to keep me from getting sleepy. I decided to
"better myself" at one point and checked out a Faulker novel. Great book,
but I almost drove off the road several times, rewinding to catch some
important word or nifty turn of phrase....

Check with your local public library; you may be able to get an
extended check-out period. Also, there are companies that rent these out,
just for such a purpose. Or you may even have access to these tapes
through Amazon already. Anyway, this is just another suggestion -- have a
great trip!

Leslie J.

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; contralto
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Music