Vocalist.org archive

From:  Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Date:  Mon Aug 20, 2001  11:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] ROAD MUSIC recommendations . . .

Hi, again, folks!

Well! I must say I've gotten some incredibly creative and interesting
recommendations! Combined with what I'd planned to take along, I think
I've got some great selections here. Based on your suggestions (either
directly, or using them as a "launching pad" for similarities searches),
I've got an order into Amazon for the following:

"A Night at the Opera" Queen
"Franz Liszt: A Faust Symphony"
"Elton John - Greatest Hits" Elton John
"Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 9/Overtures"
"Stravinsky: Le Sacre Du Printemps/Apollon Musagète"
"How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All?"
Firesign Theatre
"Randy Newman's Faust (1993 Concept Cast) [CAST RECORDING]"
"Sondheim: A Celebration At Carnegie Hall (1992 Concert Cast) [CAST
RECORDING]
"Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra/Ein Heldenleben"
"The Best of the Gipsy Kings" The Gipsy Kings
"Give Me Immortality Or Give Me Death" Firesign Theatre
"Bat Out of Hell [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]" Meatloaf

Karen -- I went with your suggestions re: conductor/etc. for the
classical selections. I'm also taking along some of my all-time
favorite choral works, as well as a few CDs of opera choruses and some
whole-opera CD sets (Lucrezia Borgia, Turandot, Meistersinger, even some
PDQ Bach). I'm also taking some Broadway shows: Swing!, The Producers,
Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, Annie Get Your Gun.

I'm particularly anxious to hear the Newman "Faust," which I believe he
co-wrote with Elton John (it turned up in a search for Elton John).
I've always like Randy Newman's film music, and I was tremendously
impressed by Elton John's "Aida" when I saw it last year in NYC (huge
surprise, that).

My plan is to drive about 7 hours each day. The CD changer in the car
takes a 6-CD cartridge, so I should have just about enough music in the
cartridge each day to cover that day's driving.

If you happen to think of any more, don't hesitate to drop me a note.

Thanks again!!

Lana

--
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13807 Re: ROAD MUSIC recommendations . . . Karen Mercedes   Tue  8/21/2001   2 KB

emusic.com