Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Mon Aug 20, 2001  4:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] group vocal warmup - LONG

Michael Eckford wrote:

> So, can any of you suggest some very simple and specific
> warmup things I could do? I guess the other thing to
> consider is, this warmup in its present form is meant to also
> accommodate my own warmup needs, which perhaps makes things a bit
> tricky. It could be argued that I need to warmup up separately, but
> this rather presents logistical problems...

Michael,

I don't envy you having to warm up such a disparate group! It sounds
like you're already doing a good pre-performance-prep. What I find
useful in concentrated warm-ups are onset and breath
renewal exercises: 1 3 5 3 1; 1 1 3 3 5 5 3 3 1
a a a a a a e a e a e a e a
combined with good body usage. These help to get performers focused on
the
job at hand.

Next, some agility exercises perhaps combined with diction exercises
(like
Lana's alphabet), then some range work using lip rolls,
tongue trills and long scales and arpeggios, finally, some chord work
for
balancing and tuning before ending with any spots in theX-Mozilla-Status:
0009eck-up.

All the best with the rest of the run.

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC