Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Sat Aug 18, 2001  7:03 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] MED: Flixonase vs. Nasonex

> I've been on Nasonex for the past couple of weeks but have been
> experiencing some side effects (dry/burning sensation in eyes,
> pressure on back of eyes, tip of nose feeling 'numb'). My ENT has
> suggest that I try Flixonase (Flonase in the US?) but he couldn't
> really tell me if I'm going to experience the same side-effects.
> Does anyone have an idea what I can expect from Flixonase vs. Nasonex?

All have similar *potential* side effects. Nasacort AQ (triamcinolone)
may less irritating as the volume of spray is so small.

> He also mentioned that I have some "irregularities" in my nasal
> cartiledge and that surgery might help alleviate my symptoms,
> although he was very doubful that it would. Again, does anyone have
> any experience with this type of surgery and what affect it could
> have? I'm pretty dubious about its impact since I've had the same
> nose all of my life, but my eustacian tube disorder and tinnitus
> problems have only started in the last couple of years.

You might move air better, but allergy symptoms would be similar.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com