Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Date:  Sat Aug 18, 2001  7:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] ROAD MUSIC recommendations . . .

Mmm - I do enjoy these "offish" topics... I've been told I'm "off" but that
is yet another story...:o) I'm looking forward to checking out all the
diverse responses so far on this...

Speaking of heavy metal, guitarist Steve Vai, especially his "Alien Love
Secrets" and in a similar vein, Joe Satriani, "Surfing With The Alien" - Hmm,
maybe both these guys are aliens... definite "staying awake" music...

Joe Diorio, a wonderful Italian-born jazz guitarist, now living in the States
- mainstream, but very inventive and soulful...

Soulive, latest cd "Doin' Something" - very kick-ass young funk band, with
lots of that Hammond B3 organ groove...

Albert Collins, especially his stuff in the early 90's, just before he passed
away - great kick-ass (sorry, can't come up with a better adjective in this
moment...) funky blues, with screaming horns and such...

Patricia O'Callaghan, "Real Emotional Girl" - classically trained cabaret
singer from Toronto - very interesting repertoire choices and arrangements,
with "standard" composers like Weill, Bernstein, etc., but she also gets into
contemporary guys like Leonard Cohen, Randy Newman, Eddie Vedder, Stevie
Wonder...

"Old School" funk like James Brown, "Turn It Loose" - Sly & The Family Stone,
"Greatest Hits"...

Philip Glass, soundtrack for "Koyaanisqatsi" - funny, my spell checker had no
other suggested spellings...:o) - just because I generally like Glass' music
and the film is rather a "peak experience"... though some folks might, as
Letterman used to say, "get hypmotized" if they're trying to drive with this
stuff...

tons more I'll eventually think of...

Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>