Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Aug 17, 2001  11:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] offish: Is it just a quiet week in Lake Wobegon or what?

>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> + Singers are often so fired up after a +
>> + a performance, they want sex instantly. +
>> + - Jilly Cooper, SCORE! +
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jilly Cooper is a British writer who has written this series of very funny
Soap Opera-ish novels which send up the genre typified by the likes of
Jackie Collins and Danielle Steele. SCORE! is the second of her Classical
Music novels - which dovetails with her Show Jumping series, and feature
many of the same characters. The main plot revolves around a concupiscient,
aging _enfant terrible_ Italian conductor who is making the "definitive"
opera movie of Verdi's DON CARLO. But that's only the plot - all Cooper's
novels are filled with dozens of characters and subplots; she never takes
anything very seriously, but she does know how to craft the language. Too
humorous to be "trashy", too pot-boiling to be "literary", I discovered her
Show Jumping series at Heathrow Airport - her novels are very long, but
very breezy reads - the perfect books for an 8-hour transAtlantic flight.

Karen

emusic.com