Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sheila Graham" <sheilagraham@b...>
"Sheila Graham" <sheilagraham@b...>
Date:  Wed Aug 15, 2001  7:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Quote

Hi Christie and List,

Guilty! It's my signature line, which I found in a book on opera somewhere.

I've just read Mike's comment ('I think Bellini was the only one who thought
that, though'), and I wonder if the double meaning is getting lost.
Bellini's comment was made in a letter to a friend, written when rehearsals
were not going well and the prima donna was having more than her usual share
of tantrums, and he was COMPLAINING that, because she was a singer, she was
capable of anything, ie any sort of appalling behaviour.

I like the double meaning, and of course choose only to associate myself
with the positive interpretation!

Regards to all,

Sheila

Sheila Graham
Mezzo-Soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland

www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)