Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
"DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Aug 15, 2001  6:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] teachers expectations

S O wrote:

>>I would love to know what you all think about the tremendous different
approaches and does this sound reasonable. I know I will make the
adjustment its forcing me to improve on my own, musicianship etc. etc.

I think you have answered your own question about the value of the second
teacher's approach. When you have to take more responsibility for your own
learning, you learn a great deal more. I also do not teacher words, notes,
and rhythms to my students. They must prepare those things on their own, so
that we can spend our all-too-brief lesson time working on how to sing well.
(That's "teach," not "teacher" in line 3.)

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://www.rhodes.edu

emusic.com