Vocalist.org archive

From:  omigurt@a...
Date:  Thu May 4, 2000  4:54 pm
Subject:  Re: Met Auditions

I've only tried the Met auditions once, when I was 26. I didn't win but I
had a very good experience. I learned a lot about my singing and made great
breakthroughs, just in the preparation for the competition. The year I tried
it, there were three winners, all from the same voice teacher, and all with
big (some might say uncontrolled) voices. I believe one of them is making a
regional career of it; I'm not aware of what the other two are doing. (This
was in 1994.)

The comments I got from the judges were encouraging but not particularly
revealing. This has been my experience in competitions across the board. In
fact, I often receive diametrically contradicting comments from judges who
heard the same performance! The thing the judges can never tell you is why
you sang well but didn't win.

As for the age thing, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are within the
specified age limit and you appeal to the judges you have every chance of
winning. I have attended the regional finals in Boston for several years
now, and have seen people at the upper end of the eligibility range go on to
the finals in NY.

I have two friends who have won the competition and gone into the YADP; one
was 29 when she won, one was 27. Both are working steadily and singing very
well. One graduated from the program last year and the other finishes this
month. They have gained immeasurably from being in the Met Young Artist
Program -- musical coaching, voice lessons, master classes, diction classes,
acting classes, mock auditions, stage experience, and the all-important
networking. Nice work if you can get it, but it's not the only way to be a
"successful" singer.

Good luck!
Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com