Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Sun Aug 5, 2001  7:51 pm
Subject:  re: Aria competition

Molly's concerto choices:

>Lisa's aria from Pique Dame- Tschaikovsky
>
>The Trees on the Mountain from Susannah-Floyd
>
>Il est doux, il est bon from Herodiade- Massenet
>
>Czardas- Die Fledermaus- J Strauss
>
>Jewel song- Faust- Gounod
>
>Vissi d'arte- Tosca- Puccini

I would choose the Gounod, Floyd, and Strauss (in German). In that order.
That gives you lots of contrast in terms of style, dynamic, language,
emotion. It keeps you away from the Puccini, which might be controversial
because you are so young. If orchestral difficulty is an issue, you
probably should avoid Tchaikovsky. Massenet is ok too, but I think of your
two French choices, the Gounod is a better "sell" in terms of programming.

This is, of course, assuming that all of these arias are completely
comfortable for you, any time of day, in any order, etc. They should be if
you plan to use them for auditions. Don't count on the stars being
properly aligned!! ; )

Best of luck!
Naomi

emusic.com