Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
"Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
Date:  Sun Aug 5, 2001  7:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rock aesthetics and singer's formant (to Mike) was: Seth Riggs...

Mike,

I agree that in order for the singer's formant to resonate
the partials in its vicinity, the partials must be there
in the first place and thus must be produced by the source.

About the presence of the singer's formant in high larynx
singing: I have also done some experiments and, like you,
I found that I could maintain the same strength of the partials
around the SF that I had with the low larynx. It is a very ugly
and overly bright sound though in which all partials are quite
strong, even those above the normal SF. Like Lloyd I doubt whether
this brightness is due to the singer's formant, since the partials
above and below the SF also become stronger. I can only guess what
the cause of this brightness is, but it seems to me that it comes
directly from a different (and very tense) use of the voice source.

> my question remains then, does maximizing resonance, by
lowering the
> larynx, both increase the SF and diffuse it? is that possible?
>
> mike

Like Sundberg a.o. I still believe that the low larynx is a
prerequisite for the SF. Apparently, with a high larynx (and
thus without the SF) similar partial strengths in the SF region
can be maintained. My hypothesis would be that the brightness is
caused by the source (the folds) in combination with tenseness in the
strapping musculature.

Wim

emusic.com