Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nicnac63@a...
Nicnac63@a...
Date:  Sun Aug 5, 2001  3:43 am
Subject:  Female Composers/Librettists

Dear List,

I'm currently putting together my BMe voice recital and am in search
of the "perfect" aria. As female composers/lyricists is my theme, I'm
looking for English language operas or operettas either composed by, or with
librettos by, a woman. Ideally, the opera would have at least one aria for a
soubrette-ish type soprano, though anything with a soprano aria would work.
Right now, my voice teacher and I have given up trying to pick music by fach
and just work with whatever sounds good in my voice. I've taken a look at
Carly Simon's "Romulus Hunt" and a few Thea Musgrave operas, but nothing
seems to be catching my ear yet.

I'd be more than happy to post a compilation of suggestions if anyone
would want one. Thanks in advance!

Nicole Zurek, soprano
BMe Vocal/General Music Ed - 2003
The Ohio State University

"Can you hear the voice of the children softly asking for silence in their
shattered world? Angry guns preach a gospel full of hate, blood of the
innocent on their hands. Crying, 'Jesus help me to feel the sun again upon
my face. For when darkness clears I know you're near, bringing peace again.'
Can you hear the prayer of the children?" ~ Kurt Bestor

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom
of heaven belongs to such as these." ~ Matthew 19:14

13606 Re: Female Composers/Librettists Naomi Gurt Lind   Sun  8/5/2001   2 KB
13609 Re: Female Composers/Librettists Greypins@a...   Mon  8/6/2001   2 KB
13612 Re: Female Composers/Librettists info@g...   Mon  8/6/2001   3 KB
13615 Re: Female Composers/Librettists agoldhammer@y...   Mon  8/6/2001   2 KB
13616 Re: Female Composers/Librettists peggyh@i...   Mon  8/6/2001   2 KB
13617 Re: Female Composers/Librettists Karen Mercedes   Mon  8/6/2001   4 KB
13626 Re: Female Composers/Librettists Elizabeth Finkler   Mon  8/6/2001   3 KB

emusic.com