Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
"Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Sun Aug 5, 2001  3:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: school-paid accompanist???

Hi Linda,

> That was a _great_ post on student accompanists and the various
> situations that can arise.

Thanks! :).

> Just as I'm sure all singers enter college with the hope and expectation
> that they are going to finish up either as operatic principals or as
> full-time concert performers, I'm sure all piano students start out
> assuming they will have a career as a concert or concerto pianist

Yup. SOOO true. Accompanying is an important skill for the student
pianist. All the more reason for it to be a pleasant experience right from
the start!

And remember, it's not only the
> singers who are looking for pianists - most other solo instrumentalists
> need them from time to time as well, whether it's in a fulfilling role
> as partner in, say, a Beethoven cello sonata (they were originally
> designated as being for "piano and cello" which should make the pianists
> feel a little bigger

Yes, instrumentalists look for pianists as well, but it seems where I'm
from anyway, that the singers "monopolize" the pianists. The poor
instrumentalists often complain good-naturedly. Most singers want a pianist
in every lesson whereas the majority of instrumentalists seem to make do
without, and simply get a pianist in near jury time, or sonata performance
time, etc.

> A close friend and ex-pupil who went to Birmingham Conservatoire in the
> UK said that the word among the singers was that if you wanted a
> reliable accompanist, try the organists first, rather than the pianists.

Again, you're totally right!!! I have a couple of good friends who are
organists - they can sightread most anything and are generally fantastic to
work with.

My school has a great collaborative piano program - it is run by someone
who, in my opinion, ranks up there with the top coaches. Rena Sharon is
wildly crazy about song interpretation especially and is just such an
inspiration to the singers and the pianists. Because of her, us singers
have pianists for our use - she administers it all (and of course, it is no
easy task). It sounds though, like not all schools are this way.

Fiona

emusic.com