Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  4:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Seth Riggs' Recent SF Master Class (Wim's question)

In a message dated 8/4/2001 9:08:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< A too long explanation and, as is often said, more than needed. But
I am hesitant to write too little because it must assume knowledge
that I am reasonably sure not all of the Vocalister have or share. >>

lloyd,

thank you for your explaination. though i may occasionally give you a
hard time, especially on aesthetic positions, i always appreciate your
careful explainations and find them helpful in my own growing understanding
of how the voice works.

i often find myself asking students (these human blow dryers) 'how can
they be heard across a room if they can't blow a candle out across the room'
or, 'do they think they can create an 1100ft. per second gale' or, 'do
they ever see me blowing into the piano'. unfortunately, appealing to their
common sense is not enough to stop the practice as i find most singers sing
on what they believe rather than what they know, knock on wood. what is
required is to have them believe something else more strongly before they
drop the idiotic practice.

regarding how wave behavior affects the ease with which someone can sing,
is it largely through vowel modification that a singer can find this ease (is
this the correct over-simplification of what you wrote?)?

mike

emusic.com