Vocalist.org archive

From:  <zdivina@g...>
<zdivina@g...>
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  12:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]learning an entire role?

Dear Fiona,

From: "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>

> Here's another thought...:
>
> How useful do most of you find learning an entire operatic role, before
> being hired to do it? For sure it would be helpful in the interpretation
of
> the arias if every singer in operatic competitions knew the entire role of
> every aria, but we know in most cases, that is not true!

It is certainly useful to know the whole role even before you are hired. Not
only because of the interpretation of the arias but mainly to be ready for
what may come your way. Initially, it may seem like an unnecessary burden.
It is a lot of work, that's true, but one does it mostly as an investment -
no different than let's say a programmer would do learning another computer
language just to offer it when the situation arises.

If your goal is to sing opera - by all means learn some. Which ones? Of
course it depends on your voice type, but you cannot go wrong with anything
by Mozart. His operas are performed everywhere by everybody. Also, it's good
to have few roles prepared - initially I'd go with 2 max 3. Generally, go
with the mainstream not with the obscure.

Also remember once you are offered a role, you have to come to the first
rehearsal with your part ready. The stage business, especially for a novice,
could be very overwhelming. You do not want to be bogged down by learning
your music at the same time. And, even though some big houses hire people
2-3 years in advance - the small semi-professional or community companies -
the ones in which a typical young artist makes his/her debut - usually do
not. There are situations in which the cast is formed few days before the
first rehearsal. Then, there are the situations in which you have to
replace someone else - and that could happen hours before you step on stage!
A part of our craft is to be ready.

mariella

emusic.com