Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nicnac63@a...
Nicnac63@a...
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  4:33 am
Subject:  Re: school-paid accompanist???

Bob Harris wrote:

"Do other Music departments usually provide accompanists for voice students?
Or is my school unusual in this regard."

Dear Bob and Listers,

How I wish accompanists were provided here at Ohio State!
Unfortunately, it's every singer for him/herself and let me tell you, good
accompanists can be very difficult to find. Every year the voice faculty
generates a list of 5 or 6 respected and dependable "professional" (decipher
my use of the word however you may) area accompanists and 1 or 2 graduate
piano students who are willing to accompany. It is then the student's
responsibility to contact the accompanist and line up one-on-one rehearsal
times and somehow figure in a one hour lesson every week between the
professor, the accompanist and the student's free time.

Now, you would think that number of accompanists would suit a Voice
Department just fine. HA! With approximately 60 voice majors (grad and
undergrad combined) and another 30 or so non-majors taking lessons from 5
full time professors and a handful Graduate Teaching Assistants combined with
trying work around a student's class schedule, the professor's class and
lesson schedule, the accompanist's schedule, the limited number of hours in a
day and...well, the situation is rather abysmal. It is not uncommon for an
accompanist to be brought in only a week or two before a jury or level
change, though this usually happens more in the case of non-music majors.

Generally, whatever accompanist a student begins working with
their first year decides to continue the working relationship until the
student graduates or stops taking lessons. Some accompanists act as vocal
coaches as well, for an extra fee, but the graduate students generally snatch
them up quicker than you can say "Musetta's Waltz". However, the accompanist
turnover rate has been very high recently. I personally have had four
different accompanists in the last three years and am currently working on
finding a 5th to play my recital this November. The voice faculty is well
aware of the problems we are having and would love to keep a few accompanists
"on permanent reserve" specifically for the department, but there just isn't
enough money in the budget to entice free lance accompanists to dedicate
themselves solely to OSU students.

I'm lucky enough to study with the head of the department who is very
responsive to student comments and suggestions, so PLEASE, if anyone knows of
a better system or has any suggestions I can pass on to the voice faculty, do
not hesitate to share them. I truly hope that this situation isn't common in
other Schools of Music where the students must provide their own accompanists.

Nicole Zurek, soprano
BMe Vocal/General Music Ed - 2003
The Ohio State University

"Can you hear the voice of the children softly asking for silence in their
shattered world? Angry guns preach a gospel full of hate, blood of the
innocent on their hands. Crying, 'Jesus help me to feel the sun again upon
my face. For when darkness clears I know you're near, bringing peace again.'
Can you hear the prayer of the children?" ~ Kurt Bestor

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom
of heaven belongs to such as these." ~ Matthew 19:14

13541 Re: school-paid accompanist??? Fiona Chow   Sat  8/4/2001   8 KB

emusic.com