Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  8:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Seth Riggs' Recent SF Master Class(Tina's Mezzo)

In a message dated 8/3/2001 12:00:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
Domisosing@a... writes:
Domisosing@a... writes:

> Worse, that was the first teacher I had ever trained with who actually told

This is particularly poignant for me, as well, since I have a voice that, I
term, is naturally constructed from the bottom up. It took me YEARS to find a
teacher who understood that and worked with what my beast is. And once I did,
in 1 year we developed a full, seamless voice from bottom G to high C. At
this point, I believe that there are two types of female singers: those that
relate to their voice from a "head voice" perspective, and those that relate
to their voice from a "chest voice" perspective. With each type, the teacher
needs to work from where the student is starting, and add what is missing,
not take away what is the native instrument. Unfortunately, there is a
misconception in classical voice teaching that to sing classically is to
focus on the head voice primarily and eradicate or diminish a chest
perspective. That is totally disorienting to women whose organic relationship
to their instrument is from that of chest. Trust me, I KNOW!
TinaO

emusic.com