Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  7:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

Well, I wasn't going to write another post, but I feel
I must respond. I don't write on this list to be
insulting: I never have had, but I must take exception
that I care not for the artform!! I'm a working
professional singer who also gives vocal advice. All
my income comes from music. I, I appreciate, am lucky.
We all know about the arguments put forward about
singers 'making their living out of their art'and this
is an unfair world where virtue is triumphant only in
theatrical performances!

I will not be called an 'amateur' just because some
bad mouthed lister can think of nothing better to say
than abject rudeness: this list is not a tennis court
for rudery, but it seems to me that's what it's
becoming, as opposed to a useful, interesting, and
enlightening debate! Of course there have been
stretches when there has not been as much work as one
would like: this is the theatre for goodness sake, but
same bad mouther is right when they say they have no
idea how much I've worked in that time. I'll put my CV
up next time and perhaps that'll pacify you? I do not
have a huge ego either. I have an ego yes, you
wouldn't survive two minutes without one, but I know
what my value is, and what my limitations are.

As I said before, this is positively my last post on
this matter.

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars and not out of work
much in 30 years!