Vocalist.org archive

From:  <zdivina@g...>
<zdivina@g...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  7:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Belsey" <Idbelsey@y...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 1:10 PM

> Mariella,
>
> Sorry, but to coin a phrase, you're speaking the
> nonsense now!!
>
> If you have a full time job, you are not a
> professional singer.

Well, I never one is! All I said was that even if I have a day job and I
land a gig I expect to be paid as every other singer! You, on the contrary,
maintain that if I'm not a "professional" - by your definition - I should
not be demanding a pay for my "art" - your words, not mine. Sorry, but this
I find ridiculous!

> I have been a professional singer for 30 years, and
> not once have I done anything else to supplement my
> income. I must be lucky I guess!?

Good for you! I can only wish that more of us were in the same position, but
since most of us, classical singers, are not - we must support ourselves in
whichever way we can.

> And please don't be operaist: I find it insulting and
> patronising in the extreme, and God knows, I write on
> this list, as the many good people do, to try and be
> helpful, not insultative! If you want insulting,
> you've come to the right place 'coz I will give as
> good as I get, and I ALWAYS win!!

I was not partonizing you or trying to be insultive. I'm sorry if you felt
it that way. But it escapes me how any mention of opera can be insulting or
patronizing? Now, YOU are trying to be vindictive for no reason whatsoever.
So, let me tell you something - I do not care, and I bet most of the people
on this list either, whether you ALWAYS win! Makes no difference.

mariella

emusic.com