Vocalist.org archive

From:  <info@g...>
<info@g...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  5:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Riggs/SLS

Hello,

I cannot agree more with the excerpt of the message below. Indeed we need:

1/ "stabilized" larynx (I suppose you mean adopting a lower position for
singing, or more accurately allowing the whole trachea-bronchial tree + the
joined larynx + the overhanging hyoid bone not to rise)

2/ cord closure at all time (from top to bottom, bottom to top, between each
notes of any range)

3/ "to develop the passaggi" (or more accurately to narrow passaggi and train
the optimal opening of the throat associated with proper vowel alteration
throughout the whole range)

The question and main difference is HOW to achieve these elementary principles
of singing. This is the interesting part of a method. How do you deliver this
information. That's the key and the whole difference in results. A large number
of teachers know the basics. A large amount of teachers also DON'T know the
basics and still teach. The difference lies then in basic teaching or refined
approach.

Since ODivaTina mentioned Marilyn Horne... Marilyn Horne was trained in the
Swedish-Italian School of Singing by William Vennard, student then colleague of
Alan R. Lindquest, who later taught David L. Jones, who later taught me. One of
the main ideas in training a mezzo soprano voice is indeed to teach the
"Filling out the Middle Register" on the way down, and to learn how to drop the
weight on the way up. This really is adding chest resonance on the way down
without using chest mechanism (but by adopting a lower larynx position which
allows richness of tone) and allowing high overtones to be present (by keeping
an elevated soft palate). There is a series of exercises used for that purpose.
One of them, largely associated to Horne, can be found on the website of my
Teacher David Jones. I have found these exercises to be very effective for any
mezzos, and I use them in my teaching and for my personal vocal training (even
though I don't sing mezzos anymore...).

For those interested, the link is
http://www.voiceteacher.com/female_passaggio.html

Sincerely,