Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  5:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

Mariella,

Sorry, but to coin a phrase, you're speaking the
nonsense now!!

If you have a full time job, you are not a
professional singer. You can't be like Marie
Antoinette you know, cake and all. I'm not using that
as a slight against professionalism, but that's the
truth pure and simple. I don't talk nonsense you know.
I have been a professional singer for 30 years, and
not once have I done anything else to supplement my
income. I must be lucky I guess!?

And please don't be operaist: I find it insulting and
patronising in the extreme, and God knows, I write on
this list, as the many good people do, to try and be
helpful, not insultative! If you want insulting,
you've come to the right place 'coz I will give as
good as I get, and I ALWAYS win!! Hehehe! That's true
divo spirit you see!? If your argument is to stand up,
of course it's hard work for anybody, amateur of
professional to learn a role, but that still doesn't
make you a pro! The concept of doing anything as well
as possible boils down to another work ethic entirely,
and that is one of professionalism. Don't mix the two
up for goodness sake, else we will be in a sorry
state!I agree entirely that the job should go to the
best person, but please be realistic. If that were the
case, Lesley Garrett would be on the dole I guess?

In short, they were my thoughts, no more, no less, and
my experience, which (and who's being patronising
now?) I may add is not inconsiderable. Sorry, if you
don't agree, but goodness only knows what a dull world
it would be if everyone were sheep!!

All best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars, and very experienced
patroniser: not all all deluded!!

13497 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Deal Diva Laura   Fri  8/3/2001   8 KB
13503 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... april@d...   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB
13504 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Ian Belsey   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com