Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Seth Riggs' Recent SF Master Class(Tina's Mezzo)

In a message dated 8/3/2001 9:41:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ODivaTina@a... writes:
ODivaTina@a... writes:

> ). I've heard
> (or, more accurately, had to struggle to hear) many a mezzo who strictly
> brings their head down for the lower passagio rather than mixing their
> chest
> up gradually. Their tones are the ones which are woofy, hooty, and wobbly
> rather than firm and brilliant.
> TinaO

Tina,
It's funny you should mention this........because as a mezzo, this was my
experience and what led me to start looking for a technique that taught, as
you say, one voice, that can be applied to any style......thus, my foray into
Speech Level Singing.

I trained "classically" for 15 years before SLS. At one point, I was working
on "He shall feed his flock" and couldn't get through the phrases. More, I
wasn't even attempting chest voice until below middle C. Worse, that was the
first teacher I had ever trained with who actually told me that I could use
my chest voice!!!!! Because I was so head predominant, the sound was big,
but out of control, I had to push an extreme amount of air to get the volume
etc, etc, etc. Now, I can pick up that score and sail through the phrases
without any difficulty...........on the other hand, I can pick up an R&B tune
and sing that right after the oratorio. THis is simply because my voice, at a
foundational level, works the same, no matter what style I'm singing.

Best to you!
Mary Beth Felker
Seth Riggs Associate

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size