Vocalist.org archive

From:  Rocío Guitard <rocioguitard@h...>
Rocío Guitard <rocioguitard@h...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  6:58 am
Subject:  Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question)

Hi all,

Wim asked:

>>I still don't see how Seth Riggs can reconcile these differences
and call speech level singing a contemporary version of
'bel canto'. I'm not saying that pop singers can't benefit from
classical singing techniques, but the kind of sound (and sound level)
they are looking for is totally different and, as far as I can see,
only a limited set of 'classical' techniques would be applicable
to contemporary pop singing. Can someone from the SLS community
comment on this ?

What SLS teaches is the correct and efficient use of the voice. Therefore it is
applicable to any style (a softer ("headier") mix in Classical, a harder
("chestier") mix in Pop, but it's always a mix), yet still a form of Bel Canto
from the mere technical point of view.

The mass of Pop Singers and Classical Singers isn't representative of good
technique, singled out individuals are. A correctly trained voice in either
Classical or Pop is a whole different ballgame. Pavarotti and Natalie Cole for
example belong to the group of individuals, same and correct technique yet very
different styles. Charlotte Church and Christina Aguilera belong to the mass
IMHO, despite their success.

Best!
Rocio Guitard
Seth Riggs Associate

Greypins@a...Domisosing@a...Domisosing@a...ODivaTina@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13477 Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question) Greypins@a...   Fri  8/3/2001   2 KB
13483 Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question) Wim Ritzerfeld   Fri  8/3/2001   2 KB
13492 Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question) Domisosing@a...   Fri  8/3/2001   3 KB
13518 Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question) Wim Ritzerfeld   Fri  8/3/2001   2 KB
13534 Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question) Domisosing@a...   Sat  8/4/2001   3 KB
13538 Re: Riggs/SLS(A student's point of view!!) Denis J. Lanza   Sat  8/4/2001   5 KB
13543 Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question) Wim Ritzerfeld   Sat  8/4/2001   2 KB
13556 Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question) ODivaTina@a...   Sat  8/4/2001   2 KB
13557 Re: Riggs/SLS (reply to Wim's question) Wim Ritzerfeld   Sat  8/4/2001   2 KB

emusic.com