Vocalist.org archive

From:  EarlyMusik@a...
EarlyMusik@a...
Date:  Thu Aug 2, 2001  11:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: unpaid gigs

In a message dated 08/02/2001 12:51:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
omigurt@m... writes:
omigurt@m... writes:

<< It has certainly worked that way for me (and I don't really think I'm
deluded, except in the sense that I'm *sure* I'm 5'9"!) -- so far the gig
I've done that has gotten me the most mileage (NY Times review, further gigs,
auditions with people who wouldn't otherwise have given me the time of day)
was unpaid. Was I deluded to take it? If so, I'll take delusion any day! I
think it's more about paying your dues and
using what's available to you. >>

I've taken unpaid (or underpaid) solo gigs and they've gotten me quite far.
Dorabella in COSI two years ago resulted in AKHNATEN with Chicago Opera
Theater and two concerts with Racine Symphony; HANSEL & GRETEL (Witch)
resulted in Third Lady in FLUTE this year and a good relationship with the
director; NEVSKY with Wheaton Symphony resulted in being called for a pops
concert this past weekend with only 3 days notice to replace someone else.
It's chorus unpaid gigs that Elizabeth asked about, even though it's segued
into other areas....

Christine Thomas
"For men are strong where we are weak ... they always think before they
speak."
(What fun is THAT?)

emusic.com