Vocalist.org archive

From:  ebladesz@n...
Date:  Wed May 3, 2000  3:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Healthy Singing

EXCELLENT, REG!

I am printing your mini-treatise out to distribute to my students!

Thanks for your insight!

EBZ

>Dear Fellow Singers,
> It's very sad to hear of a happening such as that poor man's
>death, but I think there's a clear warning for all of us.
>
> If the effort required to sing is excessive then we're probably
>doing something incorrectly.
>
> I've just been through a period of six weeks of a regular and
>slightly productive coughing as the after effects of a most modest
>cold. (Untreated) During this time my singing was more than
>satisfactory but obviously getting slowly better as the cough reduced.
> Last Thursday it was suddenly gone altogether, but all the
>exercises and songs I've been studying so diligently, were suddenly
>and totally beyond me. Horrors. Then I realised that the singing
>dynamic I'd been using had been to compensate for some vocal
>fold heaviness and that it was suddenly at least twice what was
>needed. I have four days to recalibrate for an exam, because what
>used to deliver a 'pp' now delivers a forte, but the onset is so 'EASY'
>and the tone so transparent.
> The initial impact of the change had been to knock every note
>a*se over head, so it has been a very sobering experience and one that
>would probably have caused me to toss it all had I not the welcoming
>embrace of my dear teacher.
> So having been to the defective methods of support, onset,
>sub-glottic pressure and what-ever else, I've come more and more to
>understand the drive and the pain, and I know it can be quite unhealthy;
>and so for our own health as well as the music, we need to ensure that
>the technique we use and our attitudes to our performance are the best
>and not frenetically driven..
>
>Good Singing Reg

Elizabeth Blades-Zeller, DMA
Assistant Professor of Voice
Coordinator of Voice, Director of Opera
Heidelberg College - Brenneman Music Hall
Tiffin, Ohio 44883 1-419-448-2079

co-author of "Singing With Your Whole Self: The Feldenkrais Method and Voice."

check it out at www.inspirationpress.homestead.com/main.html

"Your capacity to express your brilliance is limited only to the extent of
which you have been hurt - or are afraid."

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only
plan, but also believe."

emusic.com