Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu Aug 2, 2001  5:42 pm
Subject:  re: unpaid gigs

The inimitable Ian wrote:

>I only take this stance because it all boils down to
>my favourite word which is: common sense. If you're a
>professional singer who takes a non paid job because
>you like the music, or you think it might do you some
>good, then clear off out of the profession, 'coz
>you're deluded! There is not these days, enough jobs
>to go round (like there were 50 years ago) and they
>should always go to a pro.

Ian, I usually think you are brilliant (and right), but in this case I must
respectfully disagree. The very fact that there are not enough jobs to go
round would seem to indicate that sometimes we need to compromise our "no
pay? no way!" stance. It has certainly worked that way for me (and I don't
really think I'm deluded, except in the sense that I'm *sure* I'm 5'9"!) --
so far the gig I've done that has gotten me the most mileage (NY Times
review, further gigs, auditions with people who wouldn't otherwise have
given me the time of day) was unpaid. Was I deluded to take it? If so,
I'll take delusion any day! I think it's more about paying your dues and
using what's available to you.

That said, I don't go searching for unpaid gigs -- but I do realize their
value in this tough marketplace.

Naomi Gurt Lind

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13457 Re: unpaid gigs EarlyMusik@a...   Thu  8/2/2001   3 KB
13478 Re: unpaid gigs Ian Belsey   Fri  8/3/2001   4 KB
13490 Re: unpaid gigs Naomi Gurt Lind   Fri  8/3/2001   2 KB

emusic.com