Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Aug 1, 2001  10:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] When to throw in the towel.

matthewmurray@m... wrote:

> A little bit of background: I'm 25, and have been "singing" for about
> seven years now. A community theatre musical my senior year in high
> school got me started, and when I went away to college, I sought out
> singing classes and teachers. During the years between then and now,
> I've gone through a lot of teachers--there are a couple I've worked
> with for a year each, one for two years, and a few others peppered in
> there as well.

> Here's the problem. In the seven years I've been "singing," it seems
> as though my voice has only gotten worse.

> When is the time--if there ever IS a time--that it's okay to say, This
> is never going to happen, I should stop trying?

I'm sorry you haven't yet found a voice teacher who can help
you sing better. But I think you don't have to stop trying
to sing better. I didn't even start until age 35, and it
took me a long time to sound any good (though I was always
improving, if in very small increments). Now I get paid to
sing.

Have you studied classical vocal technique? If not, I think
that's the way to go, even if your ambition is not to sing
classical music. A member of NATS (National Association of
Teachers of Singing) would be a good starting point, and
there are people on this list who can tell you how to find a
NATS teacher in your location.

Also, maybe tell us how what about your voice you think has
gotten worse. Does it hurt to sing when it didn't before?
Do you have less range? Has something changed in the
quality of your tone that you don't like - and can you
articulate what has changed?

Another good question to ask the list so you can find a good
teacher for yourself is, as a consumer, what can you do to
find a good quality voice teacher?

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...