Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Aug 1, 2001  10:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Songs in English for soprano

I second the recommend of the Argento Six Elizabethan
Songs. It's just perfect for a lighter soprano voice, and
the texts are wonderful. Other song composers to consider
are Peter Warlock and one of my favorits, Henry Purcell.

As for Rorem, he's written so much, it's hard to choose.
You might want to listen to a recent, well-reviewed
recording of Rorem songs by the mezzo soprano Susan Graham
to see some you might like. And you can also search on
"Rorem" in the classical music section of amazon.com, as
some of the cuts have excerpts you can listen to.

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com