Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Date:  Wed Aug 1, 2001  9:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Songs about Animals? For a Charity

promero@w... wrote:

> Aside from the infamous cat duet, can anyone recommend something?
> Keep in mind a young light lyric tenor (still working on A4 at this
> time).
> Some people from a conference contacted me about performing something
> in that theme for a TigerHaven auction---Tiger Haven is an
> organization that fights to prevent the extinction of Tigers.

Hello Pablo,

Ah, this is just "too cool", right after my "charity" rant... I adore
animals and nature in general (probably more than humans...?) to say nothing
of causes for which one has deep personal convictions...

Let's see - "animal songs"... How about:

(with just some slight duplication of Gilles' excellent response...)

classical:
The Flea Song, by Beethoven or Mussorgsky (though I believe "conventional
wisdom" says the latter is only for basses/baritones, though I tend to
subscribe to "Why be normal"...) - Pick whatever key (or access some good
transposing software...), so it works for you - always a good, um, "general
rule"...
Die Forelle (The Trout), with all its fun "political implications", the
verses that Schubert left out...
Maybe a little too "esoteric" for an occasion like this? - Any or all of
Ravel's "Histoires Naturelles" (Natural Stories) - all about various exotic
animals - especially Le Paon (The Peacock), with its hilarious representation
of the mating call...
I Bought Me A Cat, from - what's it called - "Early American Songs"? by Aaron
Copland
The Monk and His Cat, from Samuel Barber's "Hermit Songs"

pop:
Bein' Green - Of course, made famous by Kermit the Frog - now kind of my own
personal, um, theme song...
How Much is That Doggy in The Window
The Circle of Life/Can You Feel The Love Tonight, from "The Lion King"
something from "Cats"
Hold That Tiger

Excuse me while I, um, "paws" to think of other ideas... Sorry, couldn't
resist...:o)

Cheers.

Michael

Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Green Eccentric Introvert With Loud Voice
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
http://www.angelfire.com/me/interdependence/

emusic.com