Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rachel Parker" <despina@p...>
"Rachel Parker" <despina@p...>
Date:  Tue Jul 31, 2001  1:57 am
Subject:  Fw: [vocalist] Why is this so hard?

Thanks for your post, John.

I have used a variation of the exercise you suggested -- first I sing the
note as breathy as I can, then I sing it 75% breathy, then 50% breathy, and
so on until I reach 0% breathy. It has given me some good results.

I've gotten some great suggestions -- the most fruitful being Karen
Mercedes' advice to "think about starting the sound by having the diaphragm
push down." It really helped me ground the note, which has eliminated the
breathiness.

Many thanks to Karen and everyone else for all their help. Now my "Ave
Maria" is cookin' with gas!

Rachel
despina@p...
despina@p...

John Link wrote:

> Here's something different to try: Instead of doing what you can to
> _eliminate the breathy attack, do whatever you can to _enhance it.
> Make the attack breathier. Do this on C4 as well as other notes
> nearby and also far away, and do it with "ah" as well as other
> vowels. Once you've become an expert on breathy attack, stop it, and
> just sing, with no attempt to control your sound except to imagine
> the vowel, the pitch, and the intensity.
>
> Please let us know of your progress using my suggestion as well as
> the others you've received.

emusic.com