Vocalist.org archive

From:  Rocío Guitard <rocioguitard@h...>
Rocío Guitard <rocioguitard@h...>
Date:  Mon Jul 30, 2001  5:01 pm
Subject:  Re: Tenor trouble at Ab and A natural

Hi Bob,

you wrote:
>Just to make sure I understand what you mean by starting the exercise
you suggest from the top down, shall I start it say on the Bb above
the treble clef to the Bb at the 3rd line, then go down a half step
to A above the top line to A second space, and so on down the scale?

Either way, the point is that the exercise doesn't start you in the bottom and
takes you up within the scale; it's the opposite movement. Whether you start
the whole thing from the bottom of your range or the top doesn't matter much,
but in your specific case (since you mentioned almost full chest on the G above
treble C) I suggest you do start at the top of your range.

you wrote:
>To answer your question, I do feed decided tightness especially with
the i vowel. The i vowel is definitely my hardest. I modify it to
the French y from Eb (4th space) and above, but I always feel
tightness with that vowel whether it be a pure i or a modified i.

I'd suggest you try not modifying the vowel at all other than dropping your jaw
as you go higher (without going wide, careful), but I'd suggest you keep an
overall "woofy" or "hooty" or "yawny" sound with it to start with. Better yet,
vocalise on "wee wee" instead of pure "ee" until your larynx relaxes.

you wrote:
Thanks for your comments about head resonance. I have no problem
with that on the high notes, and can easily sing a B natural or C
(oor above) with good head resonance. When I descend the scale from
that B or C, however, I always have to pass through a difficult
transition at A natural or Ab. My G natural is good but has very
little head resonance; it's mostly chest. When I try to lighten up
the G natural and have less chest, it gets breathy and feels like
falsetto.

Your mix should start around Eb-E above treble C. This is simple, whatever
scale you're vocalizing on, put a hand on your Adam's apple. The moment you
feel it rising it's time to start allowing the head resonance to come in, but
through the mix. If you wait until G your larynx is already high and the
transition to head voice pretty much impossible. And don't worry if your mix
and head voice don't feel or sound strong at first; your priority right now is
to relax your larynx, then we'll worry about your sound.

Where are you located?

Best,
Rocio

singer220@h...singer220@h...