Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Date:  Mon Jul 30, 2001  7:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Met Auditions/ageism

Kathryn Thickstun Leff wrote:

> Just in case you hadn't heard, the Met Auditions National Council has
> eliminated the restriction on the number of times a singer can participate
> in the Met Auditions.
>
> So, you can audition as often as you like as long as you're within the age
> range for your voice category...

Not meaning to be a "downer" here, but - While this is a progressive step, the
Met Auditions, like most other auditions of this type, are still blatantly
ageist, in an era where we are supposedly evolving beyond what is nothing less
than a fundamental abuse of human rights, as reprehensible as any
discrimination on the basis of gender, sexuality, race, socio-economic status,
etc., etc.

Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
baritone, 48, mad as hell and not taking it anymore...

emusic.com