Vocalist.org archive

From:  mikebarb@b...
mikebarb@b...
Date:  Sat Jul 28, 2001  5:41 pm
Subject:  Re:..an introduced species?Snake

Greypins@a... wrote:

> similarly, some kind of snake has made it big on the island of
> guam (i
> can't remember what kind of snake it is and, i think it was first
> brought
> over as a pet). the snakes have gotten loose, reproduced and are
> helping
> themselves to large helpings of the islands songbirds.

There was a special on TV about this snake, a green tree snake or
something close to that. This snake is slightly poisonous and
aggressive--a really nasty snake. (Generally, I like snakes.) On Guam,
it has been known to climb into houses through the plumbing vent on the
roof. The scary part is that they are not escaped pets, but rather like
the rats, stowed away and transported themselves places. This snake
will hide in the under belly or the landing gears of planes. This snake
originally came from New Guinea and with WW2 was spread to other
military airports, including Guam. It may have reached Hawaii, and I
really hope that it never comes to South Florida. I fear that it
probably will though.

Barbara Roberts,
Miami, FL

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size