Vocalist.org archive

From:  singer220@h...
singer220@h...
Date:  Sat Jul 28, 2001  1:26 am
Subject:  Re: Tenor trouble at Ab and A natural

Rocio:

Thanks very much for your comments. I'll try what you suggest for
the next few days or weeks and keep you posted.

Just to make sure I understand what you mean by starting the exercise
you suggest from the top down, shall I start it say on the Bb above
the treble clef to the Bb at the 3rd line, then go down a half step
to A above the top line to A second space, and so on down the scale?

To answer your question, I do feed decided tightness especially with
the i vowel. The i vowel is definitely my hardest. I modify it to
the French y from Eb (4th space) and above, but I always feel
tightness with that vowel whether it be a pure i or a modified i.

Thanks for your comments about head resonance. I have no problem
with that on the high notes, and can easily sing a B natural or C
(oor above) with good head resonance. When I descend the scale from
that B or C, however, I always have to pass through a difficult
transition at A natural or Ab. My G natural is good but has very
little head resonance; it's mostly chest. When I try to lighten up
the G natural and have less chest, it gets breathy and feels like
falsetto.

Your suggestion of using a tape recorder during practice sessions is
a good one. I've seen many recent posts about the merits of using
one. I regularly use a mirror but have not used a recorder. I'll
give it a try.

Thanks again for your comments. They are valuable.

Best regards,

Bob.

> Hi Bob,
>
> what you're dealing with is your second passagio or bridge (could
be your first, too, but I'd need to hear you). If it's crackling
right around the passaggio point it could be because you're taking to
much chest up with you. I suggest you choose scales such as
> 8-5-3-1-3-5-8-5-3-1-3-5-8-5-3-1
> which work you from the top down, on syllables such as "wee" with a
lot of "woof" or "hooty" on them to keep your larynx stable as you go
up. Give it almost a falsetto approach up there to make sure you're
not pulling and bring it down to chest gently.

> One question, do you feel a squeeze or taughtness at any time when
you sing?

> The tricky thing about the second passagio is that singing starts
feeling really heady; some people are uncomfortable with a strong
head resonance (particularly men) and therefore hang on to chest to
avoid it. Always remember that what it feels like and sounds like to
you is not representative of what it sounds like to the outside
world. Recording yourself while you practice is a good way of getting
an objective "listen".

> Best Regards,
> Rocio Guitard
> Seth Riggs Associate