Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
"Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
Date:  Fri Jul 27, 2001  9:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Customs

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., John Link <> wrote:
--- In
vocalist-temporary@y..., John Link <> wrote:
> Wim Ritzerfeld wrote:
>
> >I'm aware of the fact that conductors are sometimes addressed
> >as 'maestro'. To me this is not the same as addressing a medical
> >doctor as 'doctor' as this only refers to his academic title and
> >to most people 'doctor' is emotionally neutral anyway.
>
> Really? I believe that the term 'doctor' applied to medical doctors
> does not refer to the academic degree and is ANYTHING but
emotionally
> neutral for many people.

OK, thanks. I stand corrected.
So the difference between Maestro and Doctor isn't as great as
I thought ;).

By the way, I never use my academic title exactly to avoid the
'maestro' effect. I think professional people should be judged
by their competence, not by their 'decorations'.

Wim Ritzerfeld

emusic.com