Vocalist.org archive

From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Tue Jul 24, 2001  9:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Help! Need info

Naomi wrote:

<<Is anyone acquainted with the musical "Nine" -- based on the life and art of
Federico Fellini? The score is out of my local library and I need some
descriptive information about the character of Guido's mother. What sortof a
person is she? What songs does she sing?

Thanks for any help you can give me.>>

Not firsthand, but here's some stuff I turned up on a Google.com search of the
net, on the terms yeston nine (since Maury yeston wrote the music). Also I
included the amazon.com and the barnes and noble.com pages, which have some
song excerpts. I also printed out the best stuff I found on the last URL. Also
in that URL but not printed here is a complete song list with the names of the
artists performing them which can give you a hint of the vocal requirements if
you know or can find out about the artists. If you do the google search I did,
you can find other things that can also be helpful

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000025T5/vocalistint00-20
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=74643832526
http://www.musicalheaven.com/n/nine.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/4596/nine/
(above has synopsis)
The Story:
NINE, the Tony Award-winning Best Musical of the 1982 Broadway season,
concerns the travails of Guido Contini-- a forty-year-old Italian movie
director-- and the twenty-one women in his life, who first appear as an
orchestra he mentally conducts (OVERTURE). Guido, whose last three films have
been flops, is suffering from a mid-life crisis at the worst possible time-- in
the middle of his life (GUIDO'S SONG). He is vacationing at a Venetian spa and
trying to repair his crumbling marriage to his wife, Luisa (MY HUSBAND MAKES
MOVIES). But his mistress, Carla, is also in Venice and provides considerable
distraction (A CALL FROM THE VATICAN).
Guido is also enamored of his fomer protegee Claudia Nardi, the actress, and
is hard pressed to choose from among the three woman in his life (ONLY WITH
YOU). To make matters worse, his Parisian producer, Liliane La Fleur, insists
that he create a movie musical for her (FOLIES BERGERES) though Comtini, as
yet, hasn't the slightest idea for a film.
Tormented, Guido is haunted by three earlier moments in his life when, as a
child of nine, he was fawned over by his mother and aunt (NINE), intrduced to
sexuality by the exuberant whore Saraghina (TI VOGLIO BENE/BE ITALIAN), and
punished at his parochial school for having gone to visit Sara hina on the
beach.
When almost all seems lost, Claudia comes to Venice and inadvertently
inspires Guido's idea for his movie (UNUSUAL WAY). The film begins rehearsal
immediately but, while it is in progress,
Guido violates a trust with Luisa and alienates the other women in his life
(SIMPLE, BE ON YOUR OWN).
Abandoned by Luisa, Carla, and Claudia, and with his film doomed to
failure, Contini becomes seriously disoriented (I CAN'T MAKE THIS MOVIE), and
fantasizes suicide.
He is saved by the spectre of his nine-year-old self, Little Guido, who
urges him toward maturity (GETTING TALL), after which Guido abandons at last
his orchestra of women and sets out in search of his one true love-- Luisa

emusic.com