Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Tue May 2, 2000  2:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] the most beautiful songs

Dear List:

Below you'll find the list of songs I am going to sing
on my birthday-Schubertiade in ten days, which can be
regarded as a variation on the asnwers to the 'most
beautiful songs' query. Many of them I love dearly,
all be it sometimes more because of the text than
because of the music. By the way: my six year old
daughter's favourite is 'Auf dem Wasser zu singen',
and she might very well be wright. So here we go:
Franz Schubert:
Liebhaber in allen Gestalten D 558(Goethe) (couplets
1,2, & 4; I don't think the text of the third one fits
in)(not the most beautiful, but the first on the
program)
Fruehlingsglaube D 686 (Uhland)
Im Fruehling D 882 (Schulze)
Robert Schumann
from: Dichterliebe, op. 48 (Heine)
Hoer ich das Liedchen klingen (X)
Ein Juengling liebt ein Maedchen (XI)
Am leuchtendem Sommermorgen (XII)
from: Liederkreis op. 39 (Eichendorf):
In der Fremde (I)
Intermezzo (II)
Auf einer Burg (VII)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart:
An Chloe KV 524 (Jacobi)
Abendempfindung an Laura KV 523 (n.n.)
Das Lied der Trennung KV 519 (Schmidt)
Franz Schubert:
Auf dem Wasser zu singen D 774 Stolberg)
An Silvia D 891 (Shakespeare, transl. Bauernfeld)
Staendchen (from: Schwanengesang)D 957 (Grillparzer)
Among the songs that are not or not completely suited
or written for my voice (for a tenor there is no need
singing transposed songs, is there?) are of course
Vier letzte Lieder (sung by Gundula Janowitz!, now
available on cd), many Mahler songs, and Shostakovich'
Jiddish Folkpoetry, I forgot the exact title, I think
it is opus 79).

Best greetings,
Dre de Man